Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Can you actually avoid gaining weight over the holidays?

So last year I have to admit I didnt gain weight on the holidays. I did avoid the scales the day directly after but the following day I did weight myself and my weight did not go up. I have two boys so a lot of it is the constant chasing after them since they are out of school and are board. I ate a little bit of everything for dinner and only had one slice of the most yummy look pie. This year we are away from both our families and I refuse to make more than one pie for the four of us. Espicially since my two boys are not quite big enough to be eating three or four slices of pie in one day. Maybe in a few years when they are teenagers but right now I luck out and we only need one.

Looking up tips and tricks I found a few and there was a lot of overlap. This particle article I choose has it narrowed down to eight ways to avoid the holiday bulge.

1. Move your body. Lots of us are busy on the holidays but a good 30-45 minutes of cardio wont ruin your day and might actually make you feel better. I know its hard I balance two boys, a husband in the military so his schedule changes on a minute notice, a job, writing, and I promote my Body By Vi Challenge. I get busy but a little me time might actually be what the doctor ordered and will help you work of some of those extra calories.

2. Aim for seven a day. This goes for fruits and vegtables. Try to feel up on these yummy alternatives (preferably without loading up on a ton of dressing on it) and its a great way to feel fuller without adding lots of extra calories. You will also get the benefits of the extra fiber.

3. Control risk or temptation. This for me means dont stand by the dessert table. If desserts aren't your thing but you love a good dip....don't hang out next to that table. Make a small plate and walk away. There is nothing wrong with a little bit its just making sure you dont over do that little bit.

4. Limit one a day. I am terrible of the "I will not eat sweets" I instantly want it. Well if you know you can have one than some of the pressure is off so have one cookie or one piece of the yummy cake you only have once a year anyways. Enjoy it. But only have one.

5. Always plan ahead. This is great advice for those of you that are busy running from one place to the next. Have a little something yummy and healthy before you go that party. This could be a small yogart, granola bar anything that will make you a little less hungry so your empty belly does not cause you to put more on your plate then you need.

6. Be in charge of your party choices. Little helpful hints can help. Choose a small plate to eat with, avoid the sauce, what you eat for dessert, and watch what you drink. These little things can save you a ton of calories.

7. Say no polietly. I married into latin family and they really hate when I say no. They consider it rude and will constnatly try to talk me into more. I always have to follow a no thank you with "I am so full if I eat another bite I will explode, it was so good." I love them dearly and I dont want to hurt there feelings so I have had to think of the nicest way to say no without huring anyones feeling.

8. Focus on Socializing. This means not hanging out at the food table but walking around talking to your friends and family and having a great time.

Hope this helps. I know I have at least two dinners to survive and two weekends of back to back gatherings.  For more on the article check out:  http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/prevention/nutrition/holidayeating12_01.aspx

Join me on my 90 Day Challenge at http://lanischweitzer.myvi.net

No comments:

Post a Comment