Thursday, January 10, 2013

Are all fats created equal?


So I was eating my yummy treats from Hawaii that my best friends sends me every year for Christmas and my birthday. So its a goodie box from Hawaii so you know there are going to be Macadamias nuts. I have not been very rigorous on my workouts during the holiday season and except for sticking to my two shakes a day (Body By Vi I love them) and despite munching on my goodies I still broke through this little plateau I was stuck in and lost a pound. So while snacking on a handful nuts I looked over the calorie and nutrition of my yummy nuts and WOW in a 1/4 cup these little guys have 230 calories. Most of which are of course fat 24 grams of fat, 4 grams of carbs and 2 grabs protein. The fat grams are broken down Saturated fat 3.5 grams, Trans fat 0, Polyunsaturated fat 0, and last but not least Monosaturated fat 20 grams. So how with stats like this did I still loose a pound while eating a few (I grab a handful and munch I don't eat a whole bag in one sitting just to clarify) of these covered in chocolate. 

First things first even sliding a bit on my diet replacing my breakfast and lunch with my Visuals shake kept my calorie intake down. The fact that I only maybe had two handfuls a day I am sure helped but to be honest that is not something I would normally have so I was having a hard time believing that replacing my granola bar (90 calorie) snack with this one that was full a fat still feels like I should have gained, right?

So are all fats created equal? Lets break it down a little each gram of fat has 9 calories, for a reference carbs and protein each have 4 calories a gram and alcohol has 7. Fats are essential in absorbing fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K and help provide energy. I have also read that it also helps you feel full longer and faster. 

Now lets see the differences between the different kinds of fat:
Saturated Fat: This type of fat is solid at room temperature. Typical found in animal foods, milk, cheese, and meat, and tropical oils for example coconut oil and palm oil. Saturated fat raises your cholesterol.
Trans Fat: This is the one most of my friends check for. This type of fat is found in processed foods to give them a longer shelf life and is also known for raising cholesterol. This is one that seems to be most stressed about and every where you look you are being told to stay away from it.
Unsaturated Fat: This type of fat is usually a liquid at room temperature. Unlike saturated fats may cause your cholesterol to go down. This type of fat is broken down to Polyunsaturated and Monounsaturated.
Polyunsaturated fat: Is found a lot in vegetable oils (ex. Sesame, soybean, and corn) and main fat in seafood. Eating Polyunsaturated fat is thought to help lower LDL Cholesterol. Two types of this fat are Omega-3 and Omega-6. From previous post you guys know knows omegas are very healthy.
Monounsaturated Fat: Mainly found in vegetable oils (ex canola, olive and peanut oils). This type of fat is though to lower the Bad LDL while raising the good HDL cholesterol levels, but only if you cut back on your saturated fat. NO eating both and hoping for results.

I am hoping with me eating my healthier Vi Shakes and eating a handful of these nuts that besides loosing weight and feeling better (oh and lets not forget my pants are getting loose so I am going to say looking better too) that I have helped lower cholesterol. I am not sure if that would have helped with my weight loss but I am sure it didnt hurt. 

Are you ready to get healthy this year? Dont put it off any longer. The only thing you have to loose is the weight  Click here to join the challange!

No comments:

Post a Comment