Thursday, December 6, 2012

A few fruits you should add to your diet

I am lucky in that my kids love fruits. The other day after dinner my son came to the table with an apple. I started to laugh because generally my kids have to ask before they grab food and just start munching but it was an apple and not a piece of candy from the Halloween candy bag we have. I couldn't get mad but I became curious besides the usual fruits I buy is there one I should try.

I found an article on the 8 Healthiest fruits you should be eating from Ladies Home Journal. So here's the 411 according to this article.

1. Blueberries. This has been listed as one of the best super fruits for awhile. I have seen this on the cover of many magazines while in the checkout line. Rich in antioxidants helps in fighting cancer and in the prevention of muscle degeneration. Like cranberries they also help prevent urinary tract infections.

2. Oranges. A single orange has a full days worth of Vitamin C plus potassium. The scent is also supposed to be calming.

3. Apples. The skin of an apple is high in fiber both soluble and insoluble. These types of fiber help lower cholesterol and keeps you regular. It is also packed full of antioxidants.

4. Bananas. These by far are my sons favorite and have become my favorite thing to mix with my Body By Shake mix with a dab of peanut butter. Bananas are full of potassium and low in sodium. This can help reduce your chance of high blood pressure and strokes.

5. Kiwi. Kiwi has twice as vitamin C as an orange and is thought to help reduce risk of cataracts and might even help protect DNA from damage.

6. Red and Purple Grapes. For those of you with little kids these are always the easiest things for me to get mine to eat. At every party with a fruit platter I would find them stuffing their cheeks like little chipmunks. Grapes contain resveratrol. This antioxidants helps fight against heart disease. You can get this in a cup of dark grapes or a 5 oz glass of Merlot.

7. Strawberries. Another one of my favorites for my Body By Vi shakes. A handful of this yummy treat is expected to help control type 2 diabetes, help prevent heart disease, reduce inflammation, plus full of vitamin C and and other antioxidants.

8. Papayas. Papayas help in digestion. They are full of Vitamin C and a good source of folate.

My kids still won't eat Kiwi. Maybe later when they get over that it looks fury. I hope you all enjoy and find this information useful. If interested in the article check out http://www.lhj.com/recipes/healthy/eating/8-healthiest-fruits-you-should-be-eating/

Ready to start your own 90 Day Challenge? Pick a goal, pick a kit and lets get started. http://lanischweitzer.myvi.net

No comments:

Post a Comment